Wait! Don't Mow that Lawn!

Okay, so I'm that crazy chic who doesn't mow her lawn.

It's not because I'm lazy, don't know how, or am afraid of the mower.

It's for a much more planful, mindful reason than that.

Here's the thing. Lawns, as lovely and green as they are, they're essentially an ecological dead zone. They do nothing for the environment and caring for them is actually even more detrimental to the planet.

For one thing, watering the uses a valuable resource, for no gain. It's the equivalent of flushing gallons of clean water down your toilet.

For another, the lawn mowers contribute to noise pollution. Your neighbors may say the sound doesn't bother them. And you may believe them. But I promise you, lawn mowers, leaf blowers, etc. are annoying!

Furthermore, wildlife is being detrimentally impacted by noise pollution. Birds are singing more loudly for shorter times in a effort to compensate for the noise pollution, but it's leading to health issues for them, including chronic stress and lower reproductive rates.

Sure, mowers are softer than airplanes and traffic, but every little bit helps.

Besides, growing a chaos garden or meadow is better than a lawn for lots of other reasons too!



Mindfully removing grass and allowing nature to do it's thing (with some control of course, you can't have trees growing up through your foundation or vines choking out bushes you want to keep, etc.) provides a natural habitat for wildlife as well as food for bees.

I've been in the process of removing grass and mindfully letting nature do it's thing in my yard for about four years now.

My yard is full of life! Bees, butterflies, dragon flies, stick insects, lots of cool bugs and things that I don't know what they are, so many birds, etc.

And the plant life is amazing too! I have wild strawberries and raspberries that have made my yard home in addition to the expected dandelions, clover, and violets, etc.

My neighbors across the street have what I call a "golf course lawn." I'm quite sure they hate my lawn and the "weeds" it produces in theirs with every fiber of their being.

But when I look out my window, I see my yard giving life. It FEELS alive. It LOOKS alive. It has a soul. It makes me happy! When I'm in my yard, I feel connected to the cycle of life, to nature, to all that lives on this great Earth.

Then, I look at theirs. It looks blah. Dead. Boring. Sad. Just looking at it makes me feel disconnected and uncomfortable.

Sure, that's my perspective, but isn't everything in life a matter of perspective?

If you're looking for a way you can help improve life on Earth for you and for many generations to come, consider ditching the mower and grass lawn for a wildlife friendly habitat.

You just might find you're happier too!

Comments