Hypocrisy in Lifestyle Choices (And What to Do About It)

**Fair warning, this is going to be controversial. I'm glad! I'm normally not a "militant vegan," but the gloves are off for this post. I normally try to allow people the space to live their lives, but I'm angry.

If you can't handle that, stop reading right here. If you can't have an ADULT discussion, stop reading right here. If you're game and willing to engage in a thoughtful dialogue, keep going.

-----------------------------------------------------

You know what makes me crazy? Like so crazy-angry I want to punch things, yell, and have a full on temper tantrum the likes of which you haven't seen before.

Hypocrisy.

One particular hypocritical thing actually.

And that is this - people who CLAIM to be animal lovers or environmental activists and still eat meat, fish, dairy, etc. or wear fur.

Seriously! WTF IS THAT??

How can you love animals and eat or wear them? How can you love the environment and then willing participate in farming practices that damage the land?



To me, what those people actually are saying is "I love soft fluffy pets, but most animals are here to serve me." Or "I love nature and I think we should try to save it, but only if it means I don't have to change my life too much."

NOT OKAY!!!!

It's not just the incorrect language that gets me, it's the fact that this belief is so pervasive people think it's valid.

Would you eat your dog or cat? (They do in China and there are many non-profits set up that are dedicated to ending it.) If you live anywhere else, you probably said no quite emphatically.

So why then, do you think cows, or pigs, or chickens are okay to eat?

Why is it okay to end the life of a fluffy rabbit, fox or raccoon for clothing?

And do not for one second tell me they're less sentient than our beloved pets. There is scientific evidence that this is NOT true!!!

Furthermore, watch any "livestock" in their natural environment and you'll see they're not only intelligent but also compassionate, loving, and function as a family unit.

And while you're there, ask the farmers about soil quality/farming practices and how they've changed over the years.

Any honest farmer will tell you the truth - soil quality is degrading, grazing animals is hard on the earth, the run off from farming is unhealthy, and the acreage used to raise meat for one family could raise grain for the country. (I'm exaggerating on that last one, but not a lot.)

Watch that. Learn that. Open your heart to it. Then give me one VALID reason you eat meat.

And before you can even go there, nutrition is NOT VALID. There are pro athletes in every sport imaginable who are vegan. So the nutrition argument is BS!!!!

And don't tell me you don't know what else you'd eat. Frankly, that's BS too. It's called Google. Do some research. In less time than it's taken you to read this rant, you'll have a week's worth of vegan meals.

That's true even if you have other dietary sensitivities or allergies! Yes, it will require some WORK!!! But hell, it's the compassionate, ethical thing to do.

And we're put here to love each other - that means ALL beings.

So stop being a hypocrite.
Stop being lazy.
Stop making excuses.
Go vegan.
NOW!
The animals need you!
The planet needs you!

Comments

  1. I was born in a carnivorous environment. Today I am vegan. All start for me in a meditation. I was very happy for the awareness of well-being and peace I was feeling, then this truth came to my mind, that I was hurting animals without any kind of consciousness, and then I could not be fuller in this meditation, I think not I was aware or just didn't want to be aware of what I was doing. I think that even today I deeply understand the implications. These kinds of debates are above many issues that humanity now considers important. I join in this effort to be more aware every day and seek the liberation of animals and the earth from the killing, abuse and exploitation of man. A human race that cares for and respects their peers must be part of the future. I am convinced that this must happen since the human being is really looking for peace, love and freedom and this is a step that must be overcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your story! I agree with you. :) And some time, when I'm feeling less angry, I'll write a blog about it from a more loving place. XD

      Delete
  2. I wish I had followed suit when my then 7 year old son decided to become vegetarian! But other carnivores in my circle kept me stuck there. One of the best
    Choices I’ve ever made, to become Vegan! Sure, I still eat a fair amount of “junk”, and it hasn’t exactly had me loosing weight like so many stories one hears, but I am proud to be Conscious of my food. I have removed the energies of pain and fear, that go along with the abuses of those animals. I still don’t understand how people (you know who) can rationalize the continued consumption, knowing of that energy. I’m sorry, but there is no amount of “positive energy work” that negates this horrors. There is no “it was their soul choice” to justify. That would be like using the same arguments for the holocaust (oh, wait, they would) ��.

    You are SO very correct, when we claim to “love animals”, or any other stance, we should ALSO be willing to make our lives reflect those beliefs. Anything else is hypocrisy, and one should be living an Authentic Life!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment