The Law of Attraction Leads to Spiritual Bypassing

Before I jump in, I know this is going to be controversial. I'm okay with that. Spirit sometimes feels voiceless and needs me to get loud.

With that understanding, I welcome and encourage respectful comments and debate about this in the comments. Name calling, unprofessional comments, etc. will not be tolerated.

Now that I've got that out of the way...

The Law of Attraction has become a bit of fad ever since The Secret (and a few famous people signing on). That's nice and all, but that whole philosophy leaves out some pretty important stuff.

Let me be clear, I'm not saying the Universe isn't working on our behalf. It most definitely is! All the time!

What I am saying is that because the Universe is working for our BEST and HIGHEST good, that thing we've put out as a "wish" may not be something we're meant to have. If that's the case, it's never going to show up. No matter how hard you wish, no matter how many vision boards or lists you make. The poem being read in this video illustrates this perfectly! (Thanks Blythe Baird!)


But let's take this a step further. Let's say that thing you're asking for IS meant to be yours. Great! You're in alignment with the Universe and that's always a beautiful thing. However, it still doesn't mean that what you're asking for is just going to land in your lap by magic.

It's a collaboration. The Universe will give you opportunities to get that thing you want, but you still have to put in effort to earn it.

By the same token, obsessing about something negative may or may not bring that thing into your life. If the Universe can use it to teach you a lesson, it will. But if it wouldn't do your best and highest self any good, it won't.

Here's one example. I have a friend who wanted to manifest a large amount of money by a certain date. She put that out there to the Universe and in a few days she had a job offer that would earn her exactly that much. The money did not fall in her lap. She had to work.

Here's another one. I have a friend who loves music and going to concerts. She also collects signatures from her favorite musicians. She really wanted a signature for (I think) Brad Paisley. She went online, found a picture of a black guitar with his signature on it and put in on her vision board.

A little while later, she was at a concert of his and had the opportunity to enter a contest to win a signed guitar. It meant she had to sing - something she was not comfortable doing. But she really wanted that signature, so she did it - and she won that exact guitar that was on her vision board!

Here's one on the negative side. After an ex-boyfriend and I broke up, I spent way too much energy stressing about whether I'd run into him, what I'd say if I did, etc. I was full of hurt and rage. But I continued to process those emotions and allow myself to feel the pain of the breakup (and whole relationship.) Then, one day, I found out he'd moved out of state!

Here's another one, where the negative stuff did happen, and the lesson. When I was about 5 my mom took me and my brand new baby sister to the local grocery store. My sister was in the front seat of the carriage and I kept trying to stand on the back. My mom kept telling me to stop, saying that I was going to knock over the carriage.

Sure enough, I knocked the carriage over! My sister was fine, I was fine. The lesson, though, was to pay equal attention to both me and my new sister. See, I was climbing on the carriage, despite repeatedly being told not, to because I was feeling left out.

Often, when people think about The Law of Attraction, they stop here: "If I'm in alignment, the Universe will give me what I want. So I need to always be looking for the positive and keep my vibration high."

This, my friends, is where we run into trouble. First off, being positive all the time is phony-baloney! The world can be a frustrating place to live. It is vital to acknowledge the less wonderful stuff. Don't dwell, use it to create change in yourself, your family, your community.

But you MUST acknowledge it. Saying "oh well, it's okay" to everything and expecting your friends and family to do the same is spiritual bypassing - and it's dangerous. It denies you the chance to grow through something and can make others feel their feelings aren't valid.

Plus, ignoring your feelings for too long will ultimately make you unhappy, but you won't know why because it's been so long since you've been honest with yourself. Telling others to do the same may cause them to resent you or feel guilty that they're not "as positive as you." I'm not sure how this is good for anyone.

Further, all emotions - the "good" ones and the "bad" ones are information! They're how your intuition communicates with you. So if something feels off, ignoring it could possibly put you in danger of some kind.

Instead, allow yourself to feel the feelings and then process them! Ask yourself, "why am I feeling this way? What does it mean? Is there a past trauma this connects to?" This is your chance to take another step towards becoming the person you're truly meant to be instead of putting on blinders and saying "it's all fine."

Here's another thing - and I say this as a Reiki Master Teacher and Certified Shamanic Practitioner - high vibes are not the only thing that matter in life!

Yes, they feel good. But you must also be grounded. We are living a human existence on earth. Therefore it's necessary to be grounded and connected to earth energy.

And honestly, I manifest better when I'm both grounded to earth and connected to Spirit (high vibes).

Why?

Because by being both ground and connected to Spirit, I'm in alignment. And honestly, when I'm living in that balanced and aligned state, I don't have to manifest a damn thing because the Universe is already providing it!!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you shouldn't look for the good in situations. What I am saying is that doing that to exclusion of anything else is lying to yourself, quickly becomes spiritual bypassing, and can ultimately hurt your personal growth as well as others in your life who may feel their feelings aren't valued.

Look back at the two negative examples above. One, where the feelings were acknowledged and processed as they were happening - and thus the "I don't want this" remained at bay. The other where they weren't processed until many years later, and the "I don't want this" happened in order to teach a lesson that wasn't being learn any other way.

Instead of focusing on trying to use The Law of Attraction to get what you WANT, try living in alignment - connected to Earth and Spirit - and trust that the Universe will bring you exactly what you NEED!

And instead of always looking at the best of everything, look for the lessons in the tough moments. Be grateful for the chances to grow. And look for how those lessons can help you create a more loving and accepting world. (And since change starts at home, this may mean loving yourself differently or changing something about your family dynamic. It may also mean taking on a company's unfair practices or many other things.)

Bottom line it is necessary to say "this isn't okay; this isn't good enough," and similar things because in acknowledging that, the steps to creating something more positive are born. Ignoring them leads to stagnation at best.

If you're willing to do the work, stay aligned, connected, and be honest about your emotions, the Universe will provide everything you need.

Comments